Our Title 1 team:
Amy Earhart, Jeanne Kelley, Jasmine Kleckler, Sherry Reed
Our Literacy Specialists:
Carol Hocker and Heidi Messner
WELCOME TO READING SUPPORT AT VERN PATRICK!
Reading is our most important educational skill–the gateway to all academic learning! We support reading and literacy in several ways:
- Daily Walk-to-Read: Students get daily instruction at their instructional levels. Classroom teachers, literacy support staff and Title 1A staff teach focused, skill-specific groups. Fourth and fifth grade students who need extra help and support “Walk-to-Read” with literacy support staff.
- Title 1A extra support: Students most at-risk for continued reading difficulty in first through third grade receive an additional block of intensive instruction with very small groups taught with both one-on-one and technology-assisted instruction. Student progress is frequently checked and changed to best speed student progress.
- Extended-Day Kindergarten: Kindergarten children most at risk for reading difficulty have an opportunity for an additional half-day of instruction entirely devoted to reading and literacy! A limited class size with a teacher and an assistant gives these children a lot of individual attention and the chance to learn literacy skills in a variety of ways. Extended-Day Kindergarten is funded through Title 1A.
Check It Out!
- Opportunities for Parent Involvement: Check out the Parent Involvement Plan link at the bottom of this page.
- Student-Parent-Teacher Responsibilities and Agreement: Check out the Panther Compact link at the bottom of this page.
- How do I help my child at home? Look at the links to great home reading support tools and activities below.